Wednesday, October 15, 2008

wikincredible!

When I search for information on the internet, wikipedia is the first place I look. It is an extreme database of knowledge on virtually (literally) anything you could possibly want to know- a collection of facts built by the individuals across the world. It is an interesting concept- this free-flowing of information. The scholarship of facts has been decentralized to anyone willing to share and edit a page. Sounds like a nice neo-movement for everyone, everywhere to have the human race's span of knowledge at their fingertips. Founder Jimmy Wales seems to think so.

Why are these wikians working for this accessible utopia of knowledge? Wales says:
"I can’t speak for everyone, but I can speak for myself. I’m doing this for the child in Africa who is going to use free textbooks and reference works produced by our community and find a solution to the crushing poverty that surrounds him. But for this child, a website on the Internet is not enough; we need to find ways to get our work to people in a form they can actually use.
And I’m doing this for my own daughter, who I hope will grow up in a world where culture is free, not proprietary, where control of knowledge is in the hands of people everywhere, with basic works they can adopt, modify, and share freely without asking permission from anyone." A Personal Appeal from Jimmy Wales, 31 Dec 2005.

It is a noble cause. And I love it. I love having a site where I can find information on ANYTHING. I completed a lot of college papers this way (even though it is not recognized as a legitimate source). I find information about my favorite artists and people. If I have the slightest question about a topic or issue- I go to wikipedia.

Questions about wikipedia's credibility?

Observations:

- In wikipedia, there are no barriers to what the individual can learn.
- In wikipedia, the individual can contribute to the wealth of knowledge.
- The knowledge cannot be controlled by any one structure. It is eternally open.

Moving on, I understand that Wiki is not alone in its endeavor. In fact, it is the reflection of something much deeper. The cultural shift taking place is one of access, freedom and openness. There is not one corner of the earth that can't be virtually touched. Look at an obscure streetview in Beijing from your web-browser. Post your opinion or daily rambling on a page-for all to see (yes, i know). Chat with someone across the world-and see their face. The Internet has completely decentralized the flow of information out of the hands of political and established power. If you don't like what the news station is telling you, then you can sure find something on the Internet that supports your opinion. Get maps to anywhere in the world...

The point is, times are changing. There exists a lack of mystery and wonder in our complex brains. I'm even convinced that the vast wealth of information hasn't made us better people-only a little more spread out in what we know.

In Jesus time, heck, up until the printing press, stories were carefully passed down by word of mouth and written in ancient languages. People rarely left their hometowns. The world was flat. The sun revolved around the earth and we were the center of the universe. And we still think we are. Our bustling, constantly improving culture doesn't know how satisfy the longings of the human condition. Indeed it complicates it.

Of course, there's always knee-mail... ;)

No comments: